Monday, December 25, 2006

My holiday celebration and idea

Hello all my readers. I am going to use my blog for something a little different over the next week and a half. I'll still be posting random thoughts and Mammoth ites (5 days left!!) But to close out the year / holiday season, I wanted to put forth some thoughts on Heathenry.

Namely, the ethics and values of of the scandinavian belief system that I follow.

The majority of Nothern belief and thought from a historical perspective is written down in the scandanavian eddas. I will be quoting and using the Poetic Edda as translated by Lee M. Hollander with additional reference material from Krasskova's "Exploring the Northern Tradition"

My intention over the next 10 days is to discuss in sequence the nine noble virtues of northern belief and what they mean to me specifically. The virtues are taken from the Havamal, a long Eddic poem that are the sayings of Odin. While they are not specifically laid out in the Havamal, the concepts behind them are very much discussed. Krassakova has compiled a list of them that is quite consise and distilled, so I'm using that as a base for my writings and examinations.

The Virtues are Courage, Discipline, Fidelity, Honour, Hospitality, Industriousness, Perserverence, Self-Reliance, Truth.

Each day I will be writing about one virtue, using that as a medtative focus and treatise on how to encourage that virtue in my own life. I welcome comments as always, but this is more of a journal of my own thoughts and path, so I doubt there will be a lot of back and forth or contentious disagreement that have made my writings so interesting in the past.

So, on that note... tomorrow : Courage.

V

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger