Monday, June 12, 2006

Bit disapointed in our culture.

As most people should know by know... Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was killed in Iraq last week. This was definately an evil man. One who had to be eliminated in some way or another. What I am disapointed in, is that the newspapers and media outlets in this country are displaying full page images of al-Zarqawi's corpse.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a large number of people get upset near the begining of the Iraq war when 4 americans were killed in Faluja and their corpses were hanged and burned on a bridge. Isn't also considered "improper" to show even the flag drapped coffins of American soldiers killed in action in Iraq. Yet, we somehow want to wallow in the fact that this man is dead and plaster images of his corpse all over everywhere. This is ALL facets of our media... including some of my favorite programs, so don't take this as an attack on either side of the political spectrum. Rather pointed squarely at each and every one of us.

The reasons for my distaste are two fold. The first is that it has the potential to truly Martyr al-Zarqawi. Drawing more people to his ideology and activities. Giving the enemies of America (as they are so defined) a rallying point is not a good idea. Secondly, it is disrespectful. Whether you like him or not, al-Zarqawi was a human being. All life is sacred, and to revel in the death of another is the hight of depravity and is abbohrant to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger