Wednesday, November 28, 2007

In defense of sanity

OK, first, frakking bursitis flare up in my right knee today.  Gorram it.

Second, I realized that I just wasted about an hour this morning trying to spin up my brain and got to thinking.  I was up until 11:00ish last night working.  I usually work from 8:30am to 7:00 ~ 7:30pm, and I'm usually the FIRST to leave.  That's quite a few hours on a regular basis (11 hours daily 5 to 6 days a week for those that are bad at math).  I usually eat lunch at the desk, so get away very little.  It's my thought that eventually the brain gives up.  That when there is no ability to decompress, eventually the brain becomes no more logically useful than the automic nervous system, just reacting to stimulus and not able to cognitively think. 

Now my mother is a nurse and does 12 hour shifts, but never 5 in a row.  Yet my industry (the company that I'm sub-contracted to in particular) seems to think that this is the model to use to get the most out of their people.  Frankly, they are wrong.  It's stupid.  The companies talk so much about "work - life balance" which has become a comical reference to meaning NO balance... just work.  The company that I'm actually employed by DOES a fantastic job frankly.  They are getting it.  Unfortunately, the companies that hire us are rarely so forward thinking. 

For those fellow developers... I am NOT talking about crunch mode and deployment times.  These parts of a project happen... but they MUST be short bursts. No more than 1 month.  Otherwise, the situation on a project goes down hill very very fast. 

I don't know where I'm going with this... but I'll have to think more and post again later.


V

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hear hear!! My job does the same thing! In the summer I work 6 days a week 12-15 hour days. Wears on ya doens't it! I think we should boycot!

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger