Monday, August 14, 2006

Rest for the Wicked

Ahhhhhhhh, *big sigh*. I just got off of a 4 day vacation. I'm well rested and feeling chipper.

Accomplishments... I fixed (mostly) the trim in the upstairs hall. As part of this I learned the trueism of measure twice - cut once first hand. Or more importantly... read your note, don't trust your memory. I measured the need for a 36.75" piece of trim for one side. Went downstairs to the garage to cut it. At least I rememberd the 6.75 part. Sadly my brain put in a 2, so I cut a 10" short piece. I'll have to re-cut a new piece tomorrow night. C'est la vie.

I accomplished nothing else. I played a lot of WoW (got Hurricaine [that bow ROCKS!!!!] and the first two pieces of my Beaststalker armour.) . Went to my friends house and drank Mojitos all day on Sat. Enjoyed the wonderful embrace of my sofa on Sunday. Why of why can't we in adult society realize that nap time is a GREAT idea. It's such a lovely luxury to NOT live life at a break neck pace.

So they are predicting at least another 3 months on this project. But it's now paid change request work and I'm going to be assigned to an app dev team. My guess is that we will NOT end up in a death march again. I plan on living life and taking my weekends to be me. Granted that might change for a weekend or two if they decide to re-convert. That's a LOT of data. I'll let ya'll know.

I miss my friend who moved to Washington. Thinking about her a bit lately. Got to chat a bit on Wendsday night? (don't remember). She's a good woman. I wish I could find one like her... but I'm sure I'd just screw it up. -LOL. I've been thinking lately that outside of the celibacy, I'm pretty happy being single and free. I can be irresponsible and no one cares. If I feel like sitting on my ass for a couple of days and just play WoW. So be it.

I did NOT play a poker tournament this weekend at all. If I can get this trim fixed quick tomorrow, I may play in a $10 SnG tomorrow night. I will also be playing in a DPT tournament at Dave and Busters on Thursday night.

Another friends grandmother just died, and two other grandmothers of friends are having serious health issues. (stroke and massive weight loss... neither fun). One conversation with a friend left me reminded of a line from "House". (paraphrased) "You can't die with diginity, it's always messy and doesn't end well! You can only LIVE with dignity." As we as humans age, we are going to have failures in the system that are not pretty. This is inevitable unless we die young, and even then, the post death system shut down isn't pretty or dignified. The more I think on that, the more I am convinced it's far more important how we live our lives day in and day out. While those of us that are left behind are left to grieve and miss those that have died, I do find it comforting to reflect on the diginity of the departeds life. I hope the same can be said about me when I die. I know I have some pretty crazy quirks, but I think I'm a good person.

This has turned into a pretty long ramble. Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger