Thursday, July 27, 2006

How do you reconcile stinging your Mother?

I feel pretty bad right now. I'm not sorry... but it doesn't mean I'm happy.

In the previous post... I mentioned that I had responded to a familial e-mail. Within that post, I did admit that I am pagan. This disapointed my mother most obviously. In her response, she said " When/if the timecomes, I hope you remain dedicated to your religion (God) and beliefs.I know how you were raised and what you believed very strongly and I pray, that is what you rely on. "

I don't know how to reconcile the fact that my Mom is disapointed in me for who I am. To be completely open, I have considered myself Wiccan for over 7 years. I believe in Gods and Goddesses as aspects of the divine. My understanding of deity leans toward defining them by the names associated with the Norse faiths.

I do not believe in the bible as the divine word of God. I do not hold to a dogmatic faith. I do not believe in a heaven or hell as defined by Christianity. I do not believe any one faith holds "the answers.", rather that the divine reveals itself to every person in it's own way.

I have to admit, while I was raised as a Baptist... I never really FELT anything. The only time I was moved to tears was when I opened up and let some of the pain out over my parents divorce. I cannot think that a faith that does not inspire feeling is right for me.

But I feel a little down over knowing that I do not make my mother proud... but on the counter side of that coin, I cannot lie about who I am. If I were to claim the Christian faith to make others happy or proud, that's not even remotely REAL faith. Which frankly, I think would be even more disapointing, and greatly damaging to myself. This is going to take some interesting conversations to work around / through. I can only be who I am, and I can only change if I want to. And I'm happy with who I am.

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger