Monday, December 04, 2006

Volume of Arenas.

60 second science today podcasted about a study on sports arenas during the stanley cup. Now, what they found is that the average sound over the 3 games they examined was just over 100 decibels. Workplace average maximum is supposed to be 85db. Now, since db's are logrithmic, at a hockey game you get the same noise exposure in 6 minutes as you would get in 8 HOURS at the loudest average workplace.

Since I have been to both stanley cup finals games (2001 game 1, a butwhuppin BY the Avs) and many many Mammoth games, I can subjectively tell you that an indoor LAX game in Denver pulls about the same if not more volume than a playoff hockey game.

I have NEVER heard anything like the crowd in playoff LAX in Denver. The sound was a living entity.

Just something to think about. Scientific American actually recommends cheap earplugs to bring the sound back down to reasonable levels. They also said that it's easier to hear conversations around you if you are wearing them. I think this is a fantastic idea, that I will arrogantly ignore. But I would recommend it for kids at the games. Don't want to hurt developing ears. :)

V

*Edit : The more I read stuff like this, the more I REALLY am getting geeked up for the season opener. The Mammoth are going to be VERY hard to stop if they keep up that balance.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can say the mammoth fans were louder in Buffalo than the Buffalo fans so it's sad....

My free crack sample ran out long time ago, I need the season to start...

11:25 AM  
Blogger Danielle Alberti said...

Hmmm, the science you spout is really pretty cool. I don't think I've ever heard anything as loud as our Calgary playoff game last year. That trickling ball was a complete explosion in the Pepsi Center. Very cool, voodoo. And cool to find your blog, btw.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Voodoo said...

Well, welcome. My time gets split pretty much evenly betwen politics and religion, and Lacrosse. f you don't like one topic, I'll move on pretty quickly. I joked once that I'm distracted by shiny things :).

That goal in the Calgary game was very simply the ultimate example of a friggin loud arena. It was phenominal.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger