Monday, November 27, 2006

Ubuntu. A difficult concept to live by.

While listening to the BBC's Today podcast, they were discussing reparations toward slavery families in Brittan. Now I haven't put a whole lot of thought into that, so I'm not going to comment. But there was a quote that I loved.

The interviewee said, "You can't dehumanize anyone without also dehumanizing yourself." Wow. It's a simple thought, but so accurate with very deep ramifications. The first example that pops into my head is a comment my father made about Sadaam Hussein's death sentence. Saying that "he's a rabid animal and you put rabid animals down." I respect my father and his opinions, but I do disagree here. For reasons that deal with my beliefs against the death penalty, and my ever growing belief in the concept of Ubuntu.

By reducing any other human to "rabid animal" we, by the same action, lessen ourselves. The connectedness of humanity is becoming more and more apparent in this interconected modern world of ours. Our actions as an individual or a society have ramifications across the globe.

This does not mean that I am a pacifist. To the contrary, I beilive highly in defending onesself and one's kin. But I do not believe in vengence or retribution. Once the moment of action has passed, it's time to set violence and aggression aside and work towards peace and understanding. Much like the Truth and Reconciliation Commision that occured in South Africa when appartheid fell. This is not an easy philosiphy to live by, but I view it as true nobility of the human spirit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Whom the Bell Tolls
by John Donne

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Voodoo said...

Heil to Donne. That poem has always encapsulated these thoughts well.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger