Wednesday, November 15, 2006

An interesting tidbit

One of my morning podcasts today (60 second science) talked about something truly interesting.

Psycological Science journal published a study looking at how kids determine who they like and who they don't. The study showed an almost equal like for situations that result from plain dumb luck and ones that are shown by intentional good doing. The podcast gave examples that a kid who found $5 was just as liked as one who went out of his way to help the teacher.

The converse was also show, dislike was shown for kids who were just in bad luck situations, example given was a kid who's soccer game was rained out.

I don't necessarily know what to make of the above, but I did find it interesting that like seems to have some commponent of it that is just based on random draw. The study is looking into if the above could influence (and it seems certain to do so) opinions and behaviours in adults. The main question that led to is how this affects how the handicapped are treated. Something I'll definately call to the forefront of my mind next time I'm around someone who just got a bad draw.

V

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger