Monday, November 13, 2006

Elton, you've crossed the line

Gotta say, Elton John has gone too far with these comments.

While I agree that the hard religious right goes to far in their opposition to the homosexual lifestyle, they still have a right to exist. Our Constitution in the states allows us the freedom of religion, but not to the extent that religion isn't allowed to exist. In fact, legislating that religion doesn't have the right to exist would be akin to legislating atheism. Thus violating the bill of rights.

On that note, I do think that if they get involved in ANY form of politics, they should have their tax exempt status removed. That means supporting any candidate, initiative, or ANY political party or movement. The tax exempt rules already prevent this, but enforcement is too lax. If an organized religion is going to get involved in this way, they shouldn't have the right to not pay taxes. Seems straightforward to me.


Edit: This seems a decent way of running elections as well :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I cannot believe he went that far. I disagree with the gay lifestyle personally and on a religious bases. I do not hate gay people though. I disagree with the life style but I do not hate people that live it (my neighbors are a gay couple and I like them). He is guilty of doing the same thing he accuses others of when he says if you disagree with me you don't have a right to exist.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Voodoo said...

No kidding. Like I said. Too far.

I've always said that I'll fight against ANYONE who tries to supress anyone elses rights. That is the primary basis of my political belief.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hm.....i guess when you piss people off enough they're gonna say things to piss you off. While I do not agree with his statements about banning religion altogether, I agree with his statement about organized religion. and I enjoyed the visual that the commenet about Lemmings stired up ^.^

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger