Thursday, August 30, 2007

Mr. Bush, I have pretzels an I'm not afraid to use them.

Interesting article came across a heathen mailing list, Apparently, the widow who fought to have the wiccan pentacle on her vertean, wiccan husbands tombstone after he was killed in Iraq was noticably NOT invited to a meeting with the "leader" of this country, while the non-wiccan portions of his family WAS in attendance.

First, with all due respect (none), NOT inviting ANY widow to this sort of event is just plain rude. I've come to expect nothing less of our nations current political structure. Republican, Democratic, or any others. They care nothing for anyone. No matter what they say. They care for power and nothing else. May they ALL take on Kobayashi in a pretzel eating contest.

Second, There ARE details missing from this article. Was this meeting with families other than the Stewarts? Not sure, and I'd like to know that before making a judgement as to wether this was an intentional slight. If other sacrificed soldiers' wives were there then this was definatly intentional. This would not surprise me at all.

Third, I am not Wiccan, (I'm an open and unappologetic Heathen) but I will defend ANYONE's beliefs, so far as that belief is not intent on destroying/harming other beliefs (see addendum 1 below). I would never even dream of belittling someone elses beliefs and faith bysaying they are not "real". It's well known that Bush has made comments of that nature and is bigoted toward people who beilive in ways that he doesn't like or agree with. With this kind of tolerance and desire for understanding, we have exactly what I'd expect foregn relations and policy wise. *side note* I understand that Bush doesn't set all policy, but he's the figure head, like a CEO... and when he suggests directions, or even makes his desires known, (Like the assasination of Thomas Becket, as a historical context of making your desires known) the staff that he appointed WILL follow it.

I find myself deeply in love with this country for the freedoms I have, that I can believe the way I wish and write items such as the above. But I also find myelf disgusted by what it's becoming. I suppose I adore the CONCEPT of America, and not so much the modern implementation of it.

I'm out of time... but my brain is still chewing on all this. Maybe more later, maybe not.



***Addendum 1***
A quick example of what I meant above, I find Islam to be a beautiful religion. The majority of people who practice that faith are peacful, charitable, and kind people. However, those radical elements within the Islamic faith that promote the destructions of all other faiths I will not support. It's an intersting logical inconsitancy that I find myself in. In that I cannot in good conscience wish those radical elements destroyed, because I do think they have a right to believe what they believe. (although I do think that they have been misled), But I also truly abhor them. I have still yet to reconcile that incosistancy within myself. The closest I have come is to let them believe, think, and say what they want... but when/if they take ACTION, to be ready with hammer and shield. I suppose that's why I had to write this, when someone uses words to attack others, appropriate response is to refute with words. If action is taken, then action is called for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger