Thursday, January 11, 2007

I hope to the gods that this works

Bush's speach last night committed to surge the troop levels in Iraq by over 20,000. I honestly hope that this works, but I have no faith that it actually will. We have surged before at least 4 times to no avail. History is showing that this has long odds.

There are "experts" that are providing conflicting reports all over the place. I won't bore you with either sides arguments, I will allow you to find your own info and make your own judgements.

That said, MY opinion on this is that the presence of American troops is galvanizing terrorists and fueling the attacks and violence in the region. In addition, Iraq is in a civil war, and an external force cannot solve the CAUSES of this internal struggle of Iraq.

I do agree with the administration that stability in Iraq is very important, and that losing (if we have not already done so) this struggle would be a very bad thing for the world in general. It's that reason that I hope that this works... I just honestly don't think it will. That saddens me. I hope the Dems do NOT move to block this, as at least it is something. But if there is no obvious improvement in about 4 months or so after deployment, we should pull out and take our licks. There were those who said we'd loose the cold war if we pulled out of Vietnam, just as there are those who say that we loose against "radical Islam" if we pull out of Iraq. One of the above statements has already proven false. The other more than likely is as well.

V

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger