Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Got 5 minutes? Read over 60 short stories!

I read Wil's blog today and he had a link to the 6 word story article from Wired. The thought was to have known authors emulate the master Hemmingway in what he considered to be one of his best stories. The story consited of only six words, but they are truly powerful when you think on them. This famous story is "For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn" Even thinking about this brings a tear to my eye. I'm flooded with memories of my mom and some of the stories of parents who unexpectedly lost children during childbirth or pregnancy (my mom is an OB nurse). It evokes such powerful emotion that I'm overwhelmed by the power of 6 words.

Some of my favorites from this project run the gammut from hilarious to equally painful as Hemmingways. I'm also impressed by the names that chose to undertake this challenge. Here are some of my favs...

Failed SAT. Lost scholarship. Invented rocket.
- William Shatner

Computer, did we bring batteries? Computer?
- Eileen Gunn

Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so.
- Joss Whedon

And the one that stunned me until I saw who wrote it...
With bloody hands, I say good-bye.
- Frank Miller

Take five minutes and see which ones touch you.

V

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The baby's bloodtype? Human, mostly.
Orson Scott Card

Nevertheless, he tried a third time.
James P. Blaylock



Kat

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger