Tuesday, August 29, 2006

On Wiretapping

I have reviewed the materials supplied in the first links
A great deal of this material talks about how other democracies are willing to suspend civil rights in a time of war.
It is typically understood that these laws apply under a formal declaration of war (in fact all the examples given were under formal declaration) there is an expected end. In this "war" on terror there is neither formal declaration nor an end envisioned. We are in a perpetual state of self fueling conflict.

And these article paint a frightening picture of the president unable to get a warrant and the dangerous terrorist going free to harm you. First, I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but the FISA courts have turned down 5 warrants since it's founding, so that's a VERY slim chance. This is a ridiculous argument for NOT applying for a warrant. That's very akin to saying there is a slim chance my car won' make it... I won't go to avoid that problem. The answer is simple, you go and deal with problems IF there are any.

Secondly, Torture is this. It is a broad definition, true. But it's one I will hold too, and since we agreed to it as a nation, I think that's only right. (Waterboarding would be illegal under this agreement)

You say Torture is acceptable to keep us safe. The article mentions a torture session conducted by Pakistan. I'm so glad to see that we are willing to raise ourselves to the standard that PAKISTAN has set for human rights. Unless you view a terrorist as non-human.

I'll pose a question to you... do you hate terrorists?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger