Saturday, July 28, 2007

Simple Logic.

This is a global forward that I recieved from a friend of mine.  Sometimes Ted Nugent will say things that just seem nuts... and others, he makes perfect sense.
I don't think there is a single part of his argument that I disagree with.  I've always said that I'm against the death penalty, but that in the heat of the moment... all bets are off.  He's dead on about why the founders added the second ammendment to the Bill of Rights.  It's worth a watch and I would love hearing comments.
 
I lied above, there is one *very minor* point that I disagree with him on.  And that's the way the justice system works does not parole because we feel "sorry for them", rather that we as a society seem to have decided that people CAN be reformed.  Totally minor point to his argument and barely woth mentioning.
 
V

2 Comments:

Blogger Megan Hawthorn said...

Hmmmm... I'm on the fence about this one. I don't love the idea of vigilante justice, but I admit our justice system does not seem to work much sometimes. If our prison system actually rehabilitated people, that would be another matter, but it does not; hence, career criminals and a high recidivism rate. Also, he assumes everyone else in the world would react the way he does. A woman in MA is beaten within an inch of her life in front of her grandchildren and he would rather she just shoot him. How do we know she actually would even if she had a gun? That seems like a stretch.

Meh... I cannot make up my mind.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Megan Hawthorn said...

I actually thought of something else about this. In his example, someone walks in on someone molesting a child. They ought to be able to just blow that person away. Whether or not its legal for that person to carry a gun to blow the molester away is not related to whether or not its legal to actually blow them away. I also find this a flawed example because I believe walking in on someone molesting a child, though a visceral example, it not all that common. I make up that a more common scenario would be walking in on a robbery of a 7-11 in progress. I still am on the fence about whether or not I support this law, but I believe the spirit of the law is to prevent me from blowing away a petty criminal such as someone holding up a 7-11 for $50.00 in change. That kind of vigilante justice is very different in my mind from blowing away a child molester.

Ok, enough for now. Brain gym! Thank you!

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thornton, Colorado, United States

I'm a geek, plain and simple. I used to fence, I play poker when I can, and am learning to play lacrosse. I also work WAY too much.

Powered by Blogger